Gaggle of Pinwheels

8374 N. County Rd. 25A Piqua, Ohio

Gaggle of Pinwheels

This pattern was selected because they liked the colors.   The bank style barn (along with the home on the property) was built in 1835 by Elyjah Ross, and was constructed of wood, whole trees, pegs, and old square nails.   Some of the bark is still visible on the trees.   It was originally used for livestock and a sleeping quarters, plus storage for farm machinery and crops.   At one time there was a double saw mill on the property.   The land to this property, which went all the way to the river, has a historical connection to a group of freed slaves that purchased some of this land from Elyjah Ross.   The town of Rossville was named in his honor.   In 1840 Amos Gray, related to the first physician in Piqua and also a distant relative of the current owners, purchased the barn, house and land and owned it until 1894.   The barn was subsequently owned by several families and was used over the years for cattle, crops, and various businesses including an antique shop, auto body shop, lawn mower repair, and trucking.   Present day owners purchased the property in 1999 and use the barn primarily for personal use.   The top level is used for storage, and the bottom level has a huge game room and the sleeping quarters are still used.   Around the barn and field, they have found Indian artifacts such as grounding rocks, ceremony rocks and arrow heads, flint, tools and pottery.

Take 25-A north of Piqua, ½ miles north of the Great Miami River on left side (west) of road.   Drive into drive way and park anywhere.


View Larger Map