Troy Civil War Sites – Monuments and Buildings
For information on visiting any of these sites, please contact:
Local History Library
100 West Main Street
Troy, Ohio 45373
Phone: (937) 335-4082
CIVIL WAR SITES AND MONUMENTS
1. Riverside Cemetery – Civil War era “Soldier at Rest” Statue – Riverside Cemetery in Troy (Section 11) (Name of Col. Augustus H. Coleman, who was killed at Antietam is on the base. Coleman was the only Troy soldier to graduate from West Point at that time.)
Graves of Civil War Soldiers (Including Colored Troops) – Civil War soldiers can be found throughout Riverside but particularly in Sections 7, 11. Soldiers of the Massachusetts 44th and 45th,, who were depicted in the movie “Glory” can be found in these sections..
2. First United Church of Christ – 120 South Market St. – The Church’s first Pastor A.L. McKinney became Chaplain of the 71st Ohio Volunteer Infantry in March 1862.
3. Museum of Troy History– John Kitchen Home – 124 E. Water Street, Troy – Troy tailor John Kitchen built the home in 1847. It existed during the Civil War and from sometimes exhibits Civil War era memorabilia. Visitors can tour this Civil War era home including an 1860 era parlor. House is open on weekends for tours April through December.
4. Troy Local History Library – Partnership of the Troy Miami County Public Library and The Troy Historical Society – 100 West Main Street – Library has a photograph of the 94th Ohio Volunteer Infantry reunion and a collection of military stories, books, military records and photographs.
5. St. James Community Church – 702 Sherman Avenue – Formerly St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church founded 1837 by freed slaves. Date of 1837 is on cornerstone. The congregation originally met in a schoolhouse at Main and Oxford Streets. They moved to the present location in 1851.
6. Trinity Episcopal Church (1833-1835) – Southwest Corner of Franklin & Walnut Streets. – A female runaway slave known as Aunty Green hid from her pursuer in the Church basement. According to local historian Thomas Wheeler, slave hunters tried to catch “Aunty” Green who lived in the Church basement. She slipped upstairs to the church pulpit and out the window. Prior to the Civil War, original church members Thomas S. Barrett and his wife Elizabeth were part of the Underground Railroad. It is said that slaves were sent to their home by Quaker Judge John Belton O’Neal of South Carolina. Sometimes as many as 30 fugitives slaves came to the church for religious instruction.
General William Henry Harrison spoke here on July 5, 1837 for the opening of the Miami and Erie Canal. Harrison later served as President of the United States.
7. (New School) Presbyterian Church (1859) Northwest Corner of Franklin and Walnut, Troy, OH– This was the site of a Memorial Service for slain President Abraham Lincoln and a variety of Civil War services. It has a tunnel that is believed runaway slaves hid.
Just before Companies D and H of the 11th Regiment left for war, a special service was held for them at the Church. Members of the Troy Ladies Bible Society, gave each soldier a copy of the New Testament.
8. Coleman-Allen-Saidleman Building Northeast Corner of Troy Public Square – Third floor of building used for a recruiting center at start of Civil War in 1861. Building was also used as an armory during the Civil War. The 71st OVI came to the building when they returned to Troy on leave in February 1864. There, W.B. McLung gave what was called “a stirring speech” at the building and the ladies of Troy then served them plates of “substantial food”.
TROY HOMES OR BUILDINGS WITH CIVIL WAR CONNECTIONS
1. George D. Burgess Home – 321 West Franklin – According to the book HISTORIC TROY OHIO, “He was said to have been the most handsome man at the Republican National Convention in 1860 when Lincoln was nominated.” Burgess gave an address at the Troy memorial service for Lincoln. Burgess was a teacher, lawyer, School Board President and Common Please Judge. He built the house in 1845.
2. Horatio G. Phillips- Pauly House AKA Brown-Campbell-Pauly House – 122 West Franklin – Built by merchant Horatio G. Phillips in 1841. Civil War Colonel O.H. Binkley once lived there.
3. Green’s House – 328 South Market Street – Built by Civil War Hero George Green, who lost his leg during the war. Green was the recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor. He also served as Miami County Recorder. Green built the house after the war in 1878.
According to Medal of Honor records, Green’s MOH citation was for: “Scaled the enemy’s works and in hand-to-hand fight helped capture the flag of the 18th Alabama Infantry (CSA).” The event occurred at the battle of Missionary Ridge, TN on 25 Nov. 1863. Green was a Corporal in Company H, 11th Ohio Infantry.
4. Dr. W.W. Hays-Coles-Sensenbrenner House –-222 W. Franklin Street. Dr. Hays fought in the Civil War. He was a member of the Ohio General Assembly. The book HISTORIC TROY OHIO says: “He was a citizen, soldier, statesman and had an unblemished record”
UNDERGROUND RAILROAD HOUSES IN TROY
1. Asa Mayo House – 11 North Walnut Street – Asa Mayo built the home in 1841. During the Civil War, it was a station on the Underground Railroad.
2. Brandriff-Dye-Croner-Gillis House – 210 E. Main Street Richard Brandriff built the house in 1847. Brandriff was a conductor on the Underground Railroad and a well known Troy businessman and Abolitionist. He was a Methodist preacher, druggist, grocer and dry goods merchant.
3. David McCampbell House – 23 W. Water Street – This house is known as the David McCampbell house but it during the Civil War era it was the home of John M. McCampbell who was a worker on the Underground Railroad. One room in the basement was supposedly a hiding place for slaves. John McCampbell owned a tannery and shoe store.
4. John Tullis House – 138 South Ridge – Home of John Tullis, editor of the Troy Times newspaper, who was a conductor on the Underground Railroad.
5. McKaig-Galbreath House– 406 Ridge Avenue – Local farmer James McKaig built the house in 1856-1857. House has portion of a slave tunnel under flooring. Historically it has been known for its beautiful handmade circular staircase.
DOWNTOWN TROY BUILDINGS OF INTEREST
1. Washington Hotel – Hatfield House – Northwest Corner of East Main and Mulberry – Civil War Era Hotel – It was built in 1841 by Sylvester Green and operated as the Washington Hotel. Elias Hatfield enlarged and renamed it the Hatfield House in 1855.
Hatfield’s wife was from the South. One evening during the Civil War a patriotic parade was held in Troy. Troy residents were asked to place a light in their windows to show their loyalty to the north. Friends of Mrs. Hatfield advised her to also place a light in her window to show her loyalty to the north so she was not be disturbed. She did and no one bothered her.
2. Mayo’s Hall – 12-14 South Market Street – Henry S. Mayo built the hall in 1854 and used for a wide variety of entertainment purposes including plays, musicals, exhibits, dinners and literary programs. It had a stage, orchestra pit and balcony. It could seat 500 people. One of the most remembered exhibit was Frankenstein’s “Panorama of Niagara”, a work of art that was there in January 1862. The Ohio 44th Regiment was given a dinner there when it came to Troy to be reorganized as part of the 8th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. When veterans from the 11th Regiment returned to Troy, they were given a welcome speech at the hall and their bullet-riddle flags were displayed. In 1862, the Chaplain of the 110th Regiment spoke on the subject “Life in Libby Prison. Proceeds from the Chaplain’s talk went to the Troy Ladies Soldiers Aid Society.
3. Troy House/Morris House/Lollis House Hotel – 1 West Franklin Street (Northwest Corner of South Market and Franklin Streets – The hotel was built by the Troy Hotel Company between 1852 and 1854. It was sold to Charles Morris, who had held a position with the Troy Hotel Company, in November 1853. He renamed it the Morris House. It was known as the Morris House during the Civil War. Civil War military recruits, who arrived in Troy prior to the time Camp Tod (the Civil War training site) was completed, stayed at the hotel free of charge. When the 11th Regiment returned to Troy, they were given a dinner in the Morris House dining room.
4. Commercial Row– West side of North Market Street between Main Street and Water. The original buildings were lost in a fire in 1824. Henry S. Mayo rebuilt the business buildings. This was Troy most important business area until after the Civil War.
5. Public Square– Civil War soldiers marched through the Public Square both as they left for war, on their way to the cemetery if they did not survive the war and as veterans following the war.
6. Buckeye Building H – Henne’s Shoe Store – Northeast Corner of the Square (Where Ruby’s is now located.) – A bullet-riddled, five foot limb of an oak tree from the battle at Resaca, Georgia was displayed in the Henne’s Shoe store window to “bring the battle home” to the people of Troy.